Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Review: Should you buy in 2023?
Liberty Mutual’s car insurance rates are above the national average, but you can save big with discounts.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Dec 6, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our auto insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different auto insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
UPDATED: Dec 6, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
On This Page
- Liberty Mutual offers various insurance products, including homeowners, renters, life, and small business insurance
- Customers can save up to 12% when purchasing their Liberty Mutual insurance policy online, based on their state
- Liberty Mutual RightTrack program offers drivers a chance to save up to 30% on their premium if they exhibit safe driving habits
Founded in 1912, Liberty Mutual Insurance began as a workers’ compensation insurance company. The growing company, headquartered in Boston, now offers several personal and business insurance products.
Liberty Mutual is the sixth-largest global property and casualty insurance company. Like other major auto insurers, it offers various auto insurance coverages in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
If you’re looking for car insurance, keep reading this Liberty Mutual auto insurance review to learn more about the company and its insurance offerings.
Why Choose Liberty Mutual Insurance
Drivers choose Liberty Mutual for several reasons. First, it offers customers many types of car insurance suitable for all types of drivers. Also, Liberty Mutual’s extra coverage options make it easy to customize policies, ensuring all customers have coverage that fits their individual needs.
As an A-rated A.M. Best company, Liberty Mutual came in as the third highest company, receiving high marks for meeting its obligations to policyholders. Additionally, the company has a Better Business Bureau rating of A+, the highest possible rating.
Not only does Liberty Mutual offer auto insurance, but it also sells additional insurance products, including life, small business, and property insurance. Plus, some products cover the cost of tuition, serious illness, and identity theft.
In addition to its many coverage options, Liberty Mutual has several discounts drivers can benefit. Discounts are helpful to drivers who want affordable coverage but weren’t initially eligible for lower rates due to their driving record, credit score, or age.
How can I get a Liberty Mutual car insurance quote?
Drivers interested in Liberty Mutual can visit the insurer’s website to receive a quote. The website will ask for their name, ZIP code, driver’s license number, and vehicle information. Using this information, Liberty Mutual can review driving records, annual mileage, vehicle repair costs, and safety features to calculate their rates.
Then, they’ll receive a quote offering the minimum auto insurance required in their state. However, drivers can customize their quote to ensure they get the coverage they want and need should they choose to move forward and purchase a policy from Liberty Mutual.
What coverages does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual provides customers with the standard insurance coverage options available through most U.S. auto insurance companies, including:
- Liability auto insurance. Covers the cost of property damage and bodily injury for other people in an accident you caused.
- Medical payments. Covers the cost of bodily injury following an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Covers medical expenses, lost wages, and funeral costs following an accident.
- Collision insurance. Covers your vehicle damages in an accident you caused.
- Comprehensive car insurance. Covers the cost of vehicle repair or replacement if your vehicle gets stolen or damaged due to vandalism or contact with a stationary object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Covers the cost of property damage and bodily injury if you get in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
The following are additional features offered by Liberty Mutual:
- Roadside assistance. Assists in the event of a roadside emergency, including a flat tire, dead battery, tow, or lockout.
- Rental car reimbursement. Covers the cost of renting a car following a covered accident.
- Liberty Mutual accident forgiveness. Protects drivers from a price increase following an accident if they’ve had no accidents or traffic violations in the previous five years.
- Better car replacement. Pays to replace your totaled vehicle with a vehicle one model year newer.
- New car replacement. Pays to replace your totaled vehicle if it’s one year old or newer.
- GAP insurance. Pays the difference between your vehicle’s value and your auto loan or lease balance if your vehicle gets totaled.
- Original parts replacement. Replaces damaged parts with the original manufacturer or high-quality parts based on availability.
- Lifetime replacement guarantee. Offers a lifetime guarantee for a vehicle repaired at a Liberty Mutual guaranteed repair network location.
- Mexico car insurance: Provides car insurance coverage through MexPro, a partner company, when drivers enter Mexico.
- Auto insurance for teachers: Covers the cost of personal property and loss due to vandalism and waives the collision deductible when driving for school-related business.
- Deductible fund. Lowers your auto insurance deductible by $100 every year if you pay an additional $30, which gets added to your annual premium. In the event of an accident, your deductible gets reduced, and you’ll only pay what isn’t covered by the fund if it doesn’t cover the total deductible.
What isn’t covered by a Liberty Mutual car insurance policy?
Even though auto insurance companies offer multiple coverage options, some things don’t have protection with insurance. Liberty Mutual car insurance policies don’t cover the cost of the following:
- General preventative vehicle maintenance
- Personal items
- Pet injuries
- Commercial auto insurance use of a vehicle, including Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing programs
Depending on your coverage type, one or more of the above may have coverage. For example, the previously mentioned optional teacher’s car insurance covers the cost of personal property when driving for school-related business.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Discounts
Car insurance can be expensive, especially for someone with a not-so-perfect driving record or credit score. Thankfully, Liberty Mutual customers can catch a break from their insurance premiums thanks to the company’s many car insurance discounts.
- Online purchase discount. Earn a 5% discount for applying and paying for your insurance coverage online.
- Paperless policy discount. Earn a discount for signing forms and receiving bills electronically.
- Early shopper discount. Earn a discount for receiving a quote from Liberty Mutual before your current insurance policy expires.
- Homeowner discount. Earn a discount for insuring your home.
- Claims-free discount. Earn a discount for having no claims filed for five years.
- Violation-free discount. Earn a discount for having no traffic violations for five years.
- Multi-policy discount. Earn a discount for bundling insurance policies for renters, home, or condo insurance.
- Multi-car discount. Earn a discount for insuring more than one vehicle.
- Military and veterans auto insurance discount. Earn a discount for being a service member, including active, veteran, or reserve military.
- Preferred payment discount. Earn a discount for authorizing automatic monthly payments from your checking or savings account or paying your premium in one or two payments.
- Liberty Mutual Good student discount. Earn a discount for a B or higher GPA.
- Student away at school discount. Earn a discount for a child away at school or one who occasionally operates your vehicle.
- RightTrack Discount. Earn a discount between 5% and 30% for monitoring your driving for 90 days using the Liberty Mutual RightTrack plug-in telematics device.
Although Liberty Mutual offers its customers various discounts, you’ll want to confirm with your agent which ones are available in your area because Liberty Mutual’s discounts aren’t available nationwide.
Paying for Your Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Coverage
Liberty Mutual customers have multiple ways to pay for their car insurance coverage, including:
- Credit card
- Checking or savings account
- Payroll deduction
Payments can be made online, by phone, mail, or mobile app. Customers can also set up AutoPay to automatically process their payments on the same date each month.
How much does car insurance from Liberty Mutual cost?
Liberty Mutual claims it offers drivers affordable rates and ensures they only pay for the coverage they need. The company also offers 12-month policy terms, meaning customers can enjoy a predictable monthly payment for a whole year before any rate changes.
Of course, not all drivers have the same insurance rates since insurers consider several factors when calculating premiums.
Let’s see what drivers can expect to pay when choosing Liberty Mutual.
|Companies||Single 17-Year-Old Female Rates||Single 17-Year-Old Male Rates||Single 25-Year-Old Female Rates||Single 25-Year-Old Male Rates||Married 35-Year-Old Female Rates||Married 35-Year-Old Male Rates||Married 60-Year-Old Female Rates||Married 60-Year-Old Male Rates|
Liberty Mutual may be more expensive than other auto insurers, but there are ways to get affordable coverage.
Liberty Mutual Rates for Teen Drivers
Many insurance companies, including Liberty Mutual, have high premiums for auto insurance for teenage drivers. Teen drivers see these rates because of their inexperience behind the wheel, making them a higher risk to insure.
|Company||Single 17-year-old||Single 17-year-old male|
The average rate for teen drivers in the U.S. is [insert rate]. While expensive, coverage beyond the state minimum requirement is ideal for teen drivers because it helps cover the potentially high cost of property damage and bodily injury if they cause an accident.
Liberty Mutual Rates for Young Adult Drivers
As drivers gain experience behind the wheel, their car insurance rates typically decrease because insurance companies no longer see them as risky drivers, but auto insurance for young adults can still be expensive.
|Age||Full Coverage Rates - Female||Full Coverage Rates - Male||Minimum Coverage Rates - Female||Minimum Coverage Rates - Male|
Specifically, at age 25, drivers will see their rates drop.
Liberty Mutual Rates for Adult Drivers
With several years of driving experience under their belts, adult drivers can finally enjoy lower car insurance rates; however, their driving record will impact this number, along with other factors.
|Companies||Average Annual Rates|
Typically, adult drivers are considered those over 25.
Liberty Mutual Rates for Senior Drivers
Auto insurance for older adults, or adults over 70, is often expensive along with teen driver rates.
These higher premiums for senior drivers are due to their higher crash rate compared to drivers between 35 and 54.
Liberty Mutual Rates After a Speeding Ticket
Speeding is considered a risky driving behavior, so receiving a speeding ticket can lead to higher rates.
Traffic violations like this cause insurers to believe you’re a risky driver, and they’ll charge extra to insure anyone caught not following road laws.
Liberty Mutual Rates After an Accident
Regardless of fault, your rates can increase after an accident.
Car insurance rates change after an accident and tend to go up. Of course, your rates will drop with safer driving, but until you prove you’re a safe driver and avoid accidents and traffic violations, you’ll pay higher rates.
Liberty Mutual Rates After a DUI
Similar to an accident or speeding ticket, a DUI can increase your insurance rates.
|Group||Clean record||With one accident||With one speeding violation||With one DUI|
Driving under the influence of alcohol is dangerous, often leading to fatal accidents, so it can be risky for insurers to cover auto insurance after a DUI.
Liberty Mutual Rates for Drivers With Poor Credit
Auto insurance for drivers with bad credit can be expensive. Here’s how much poor credit can impact Liberty Mutual car insurance rates.
|Companies||Average Monthly Rates with Bad Credit||Average Annual Rates with Bad Credit|
A credit card review is part of the risk assessment process when you apply for or renew car insurance. To reduce your premium, increase your credit score.
How much is coverage, on average, with Liberty Mutual?
Most states have a minimum amount of required coverage. Purchasing the minimum amount can save you money, but it leaves you vulnerable to out-of-pocket costs if you cause an accident.
Drivers opting for full coverage limits should expect to pay more for insurance. While you’ll have higher rates, full coverage could lessen out-of-pocket costs if you get involved in an accident.
Liberty Mutual Mobile App
Liberty Mutual’s mobile app makes it convenient for customers to manage their accounts and complete the following tasks:
- Review policy documents
- Manage billing preferences and payments
- File and manage claims
- Change/update policy
- Download insurance ID cards
Of course, if you prefer, you can manage your account online at the Liberty Mutual website or contact your local agent instead of using the mobile app.
Liberty Mutual RightTrack
Liberty Mutual RightTrack is a free telematics program available in 41 states and Washington, D.C., designed to encourage safe driving habits by monitoring drivers behind the wheel. Drivers receive an initial participation discount and can earn up to 30% off their rates, depending on their driving habits.
RightTrack requires drivers to plug in the telematics device or use the app. Once the device or the app is ready, RightTrack monitors various driving habits, like hard braking, rapid acceleration, miles driven, and nighttime driving.
Here’s how to enroll in the Liberty Mutual RightTrack program:
- Sign up for RightTrack via the Liberty Mutual mobile app or website.
- Download the Liberty Mutual app and start driving.
- If you reside in New York, you’ll receive a device in the mail you plug into your vehicle. Once the device is ready, you can start driving.
After 90 days, Liberty Mutual determines whether to award a discount and the amount. If you get a discount, it applies to the policy’s life for all vehicles and replacements.
Additional Insurance Products Offered by Liberty Mutual
In addition to auto insurance, Liberty Mutual offers the following insurance products:
- General liability insurance
- Renters insurance
- Life insurance
- Property insurance
- Workers compensation insurance
- Commercial automobile insurance
Customers interested in more than one insurance product from Liberty Mutual should remember that bundling coverage can earn them a discount. For example, if you have auto insurance, you can save money on your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance.
Filing a Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Claim
Following an accident, you need to file a claim. When filing a claim with Liberty Mutual, customers can start the process online, by phone, or via the mobile app. The process takes no more than 10 minutes, allowing you to get repairs done quickly.
Here are the steps to filing a claim with Liberty Mutual:
- Determine if filing a claim is necessary. It isn’t always clear if you should file a claim, but it’s generally best to file a claim to receive an official determination from Liberty Mutual and move forward with the claims process, if necessary.
- Submit the claim. Provide Liberty Mutual with details regarding the accident, including the date and what happened.
- Have your vehicle’s damage reviewed. A shop part of Liberty Mutual’s Guaranteed Repair Network examines vehicle damage. However, drivers can use Express Estimate to get a more timely estimate of the damages by taking vehicle pictures and submitting them to Liberty Mutual.
- Rent a car. If your vehicle isn’t drivable, you can rent one from Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Liberty Mutual’s partner, or the company of your choice.
- Receive your estimate and schedule repairs. Depending on the repair costs, you’ll pay your deductible. However, if the vehicle is a total loss, you’ll instead receive a check for your vehicle’s value.
- Get back in the driver’s seat. Once repairs are complete, you can get back in the driver’s seat.
Throughout the claims process, you can log into your account to manage or track your claim, including reviewing the status, uploading documents, and viewing payments.
Contacting Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual customers can connect with customer support in several ways.
- Phone. 1-800-290-8711
- Text. 80361
- Twitter. @AskLiberty
- Facebook. Liberty Mutual
- Mail. Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, Personal Market – RPC, P.O. Box 1604, New York, NY 10116-1604
If you can’t get in touch with Liberty Mutual customer service, answers to frequently asked questions are available on the Liberty Mutual website.
Pros and Cons of Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Every auto insurance company has its benefits and drawbacks. Below are some of the pros of Liberty Mutual car insurance:
- Multiple auto policies and add-on coverage
- Available nationwide
- Above-average ratings from A.M. Best and the Better Business Bureau
- Various discounts for all types of drivers
- Many coverage types
- User-friendly digital tools
- Availability of telematics car insurance programs
- Policy term of 12 months ensures the rate doesn’t change for a year
- Deductible fund allows drivers to lower their deductible by $100 per year
- Extensive network of local agents
Here are the cons of Liberty Mutual car insurance:
- Potentially high premiums
- Higher-than-average premiums for teen drivers
- Certain discounts not available in all 50 states
Liberty Mutual is the perfect car insurance company for many, but depending on their needs, not everyone chooses Liberty Mutual. Luckily, there’s more than one insurance company that could be a great fit for you.
Alternatives to Liberty Mutual Car Insurance
If you aren’t sure Liberty Mutual is right for you, consider these alternative car insurance companies.
Geico auto insurance, which has a 97% customer satisfaction rate, offers coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. As a Geico customer, you can enjoy access to a user-friendly mobile app and the freedom to customize your policy. If you’re new to Geico, you could save an average of $500 annually on auto insurance.
You can earn even further savings by enrolling in Geico DriveEasy, which applies a discount based on your driving behavior. However, when considering this option, you should note that Geico doesn’t offer certain coverage add-ons, including GAP insurance, and there’s a limited number of local agents available to assist customers in certain areas.
Farmers auto insurance, the seventh largest auto insurer in the U.S., offers standard auto insurance coverage in select states. Like Geico, Farmers doesn’t offer GAP insurance, but rideshare drivers can get insurance coverage.
While limited, discounts are available depending on your location, like Farmers Signal, a safe driving program that monitors driving behaviors and awards a discount for safe driving. Additionally, the add-on coverage options allow drivers to cover their vehicle in any situation.
Allstate auto insurance is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Customers can choose from the traditional insurance offerings and optional add-on coverage, including rental reimbursement and roadside assistance.
Allstate offers multiple discounts, including Drivewise, the company’s safe driving program that allows drivers to earn a discount every six months if they exhibit safe driving habits.
Also, should you get in an accident, Allstate’s app allows you to submit photo claims to start the claims process promptly.
Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance FAQ
How can I get a car insurance quote from Liberty Mutual?
Customers can get a quote from Liberty Mutual online, by phone at 844-349-8391, or through a local agent.
What information does Liberty Mutual need to offer a quote?
Anyone interested in receiving a quote from Liberty Mutual must submit their name, ZIP code, driver’s license number, and vehicle information, like make, model, year, VIN, and mileage.
Where does Liberty Mutual offer car insurance?
Liberty Mutual offers car insurance in 50 states and Washington, D.C.; however, certain discounts aren’t available in certain states.
How can drivers file a claim with Liberty Mutual?
Drivers can file claims with Liberty Mutual via the website, mobile app, or by phone at 800-225-2467.
Does Liberty Mutual cover rental cars?
Yes, Liberty Mutual car insurance policies offer rental car reimbursement for drivers who choose this additional coverage. If you need a rental after a covered accident, drivers can connect with Liberty Mutual’s partner Enterprise Rent-A-Car and receive a discount on the rental or use the rental company of their choice.
With Liberty Mutual’s Claims Valet Service, you can get a rental car delivered to you, and your damaged vehicle will be driven to the repair shop and returned to you once repairs are complete.
Does Liberty Mutual offer GAP insurance?
Yes, Liberty Mutual offers GAP insurance for an additional cost. With this coverage, if you get involved in an accident and have a car loan or lease, Liberty Mutual pays the difference between your vehicle’s value and the remaining balance if your car gets totaled.
Does Liberty Mutual offer SR-22?
Yes, Liberty Mutual offers SR-22 insurance.
How do I cancel my Liberty Mutual policy?
Customers can cancel their Liberty Mutual car insurance policy by calling 800-658-9857 and speaking to a customer service agent.
How much can customers save by enrolling in RightTrack?
By enrolling in RightTrack, customers can save between 5% and 30%. Since the program encourages good driving habits, the highest discount goes to drivers who prove they’re safe behind the wheel.
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption